Here are some safety tips to keep in mind while you're doing your spring cleaning.
Ladder and Step Stool Safety
If you are a regular ladder or step stool user, it is easy to get too comfortable. Remember that these tools can be hazardous and must be used properly. That means,
- position ladders and step stools on solid, flat surfaces
- keep centered on the ladder or step stool moving the tool to reach the place you’re attending to rather than leaning over to one side
- only use in the fully opened and locked position
- never stand on the top two rungs of a step ladder
- avoid potential electrical hazards
- read and adhere to ladder and step stool safety warnings provided by the manufacturer
Moving Heavy Objects
Spring cleaning often involves moving heavy objects like furniture. Keep in mind that moving heavy objects is not something many of us do every day, so don’t overestimate your ability to move that entertainment console, bookcase or couch. It’s a good idea to have another person help you. Here are a few other things to keep in mind:
- get close to the object
- maintain an upright posture from the waist up
- lift with your legs, not your arms or back
- pivot on your feet, don’t twist from your waist
Many cleaning products are made from chemicals that can be hazardous to skin, eyes and airways. Use goggles, gloves and masks to protect yourself. It is also important that we take care of the environment and discard of cleaning products properly. Always read the directions and warnings on any cleaning product.
The use of natural cleaning products is also advisable, but carefully read the labels here too. You may already have some products that you can use in your cupboard, such as, baking soda, lemon juice, or vinegar. Heloise has many tips for using white vinegar to clean and freshen. At one time, Heloise was able to provide a pamphlet with a bunch of uses for white vinegar requiring only that the request be accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope—check it out on Google. Again using safety measures is imperative.
Property maintain your yard tools and follow manufacturer instructions. Have your tools serviced regularly and never use them unless they are in recommended working order. Safety goggles, gloves and masks may be needed when using these tools.
Enjoy the warm and pleasant weather and get ready for a wonderful summer!